Update January 20: 2017 Course has started, but we have some limited spots available due to last minute cancellations. It is NOT too late to register. If you're interested you should register ASAP!
Winter in the Mountains (WIM) is an introductory course designed to introduce people to the skills required for travelling in the mountains on skis. It is taught by volunteers from ACC Edmonton.
The course consists of 4 classroom sessions (in Edmonton) and up to 3 skills weekends (in the mountains) that cover:
- clothing systems
- temperature regulation in the back-country
- avalanche assessment
Optional additional skills weekends are available so students can experience a back-country hut and/or back-country winter camping.
- January 10, 17, 24, 31
D.S. MacKenzie School
Skills training weekends
February 4-5 Canmore Clubhouse
February 4-5 Athabasca Falls
February 11-12 Canmore Clubhouse
February 25-26 Bow Hut
March 04-05 Edith Cavell Hostel
March 25-26 Bryant Creek Shelter
March 25-27 Verdant Pass (3 days)
April 1-2 Rummel Lake
$90.00 in course fees, plus:
- Hostel/hut accommodations for skills weekends: approx $30 per night.
- You provide your own meals and transportation (carpooling) to/from the mountains.
- Alpine-Touring (A/T) or Telemark skis with climbing skins, ski boots (A/T or Tele), ski poles (*)
- Avalanche beacon, probe, and shovel (*)
- Appropriate clothing for winter temperatures
(*) = This gear is available for rent at MEC Edmonton. Early reservations are highly recommended.
- Class room space is unlimited.
- Weekend spots are limited due to hostel space limits, and back-country restrictions. They are available on a first-register-first-serve basis.
Volunteer leaders and assistants needed!
Do you have back-country skiing skills, and want to contribute your time and skills to our mountaineering community? Want an opportunity to practice leadership skills? Our courses need you!